Stick Hands v3
Well well well. Look at what we have here.
A BLOG POST!!!!
Honestly, I just don’t really think about posting on here until it’s way too long after a brew day to go over the process.
So, I brewed my third attempt at a Sticky Hands clone from Block 15 brewing out of Corvallis, OR. The beer is quite enjoyable, and since it’s not distributed very far from the brewery I figured I should make my own.
Things to note on this brew day.
- My mash/volumes/gravity were pretty darn spot on
- The last two iterations of this beer called for a hop shot addition at 15 minutes (not 60), but I think with the unknown origin/variety of my extract it makes no sense to add it to the boil late
- I moved my hop pellet additions even later in the boil this time
- I planned to use Imperial Yeast Conan strain for half this batch, but my LHBS was out.
- Be very careful with Imperial Yeast cans. Mine shot all over the place and made a mess.
- Imperial Yeast Flagship still finished out like a champ, slightly lower than White Labs 090 (Super San Diego)
- I used a new hop filter contraption which didn’t work out well, but apparently I was doing it wrong.
- I love my new whirlpool arm and chiller. They are like cheat mode.
- Imperial Yeast, and portions of the internet insist that pitching yeast cold is an okay thing to do. I did this with both yeasts and it worked amazingly well. They both started super quick, finished out strong, and did exactly what I expected them to.
Here is my latest version of the recipe and some random videos from brew day. Steep additions were done at sub 160 degrees.
Manos Pegajosas v3
All Grain Recipe
|Batch Size: 11.00 gal||Style: American IPA (14B)|
|Boil Size: 13.70 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2008|
|Color: 5.9 SRM||Equipment: BrewEasy™ 10 Gallon|
|Bitterness: 129.1 IBUs||Boil Time: 60 min|
|Est OG: 1.074 (17.9° P)||Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body|
|Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.9° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage|
|ABV: 7.8%||Taste Rating: 30.0|
|15.00 g||Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min)||Misc||1|
|8.00 g||Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min)||Misc||2|
|18 lbs||Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM)||Grain||3|
|10 lbs||Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)||Grain||4|
|1 lbs||Crystal 15, 2-Row, (Great Western) (15.0 SRM)||Grain||5|
|12.00 oz||Carafoam (2.0 SRM)||Grain||6|
|1 lbs||Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)||Grain||7|
|8.00 ml||HopShot [65.0%] (CO2 Extract) – Boil 60 min||Hops||8|
|1.00 oz||Amarillo [9.2%] – Boil 5 min||Hops||9|
|1.00 oz||Chinook [13.0%] – Boil 5 min||Hops||10|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] – Boil 5 min||Hops||11|
|1.00 oz||Galaxy [14.0%] – Boil 5 min||Hops||12|
|1.00 oz||Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.2%] – Boil 5 min||Hops||13|
|4.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] – Steep 20 min||Hops||14|
|2.00 oz||Amarillo [9.2%] – Steep 20 min||Hops||15|
|1.00 oz||Chinook [13.0%] – Steep 20 min||Hops||16|
|4.00 oz||Galaxy [14.0%] – Steep 20 min||Hops||17|
|4.00 oz||Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.2%] – Steep 20 min||Hops||18|
|1 pkgs||Flagship (Imperial #A07)||Yeast||19|
|2 pkgs||San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090)||Yeast||20|
|2.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] – Dry Hop 4 days||Hops||21|
|2.00 oz||Galaxy [14.0%] – Dry Hop 4 days||Hops||22|
|2.00 oz||Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.2%] – Dry Hop 4 days||Hops||23|
|1.00 oz||Amarillo [9.2%] – Dry Hop 4 days||Hops||24|
|1.00 oz||Chinook [13.0%] – Dry Hop 4 days||Hops||25|
14.4 brix Pre Boil 1.059